My last post at 12:28am on July 22nd ended with: "Tomorrow we get to finally meet Kaitlyn Elizabeth!" Little did I realize just how quickly "tomorrow" was going to get there! I guess, technically at 12:28, it already was the tomorrow I was talking about. I had been on the pitocin drip maybe an hour at that time. Between 12:30 and 1:30, Taylor had made her bed and gotten to sleep; Bruce was working on settling into his bed and finished up posting his updates to facebook. Just as he got settled, I announced I think my water had broken. We called the nurse in and she didn't think so at first, but then agreed. Starting right then I began strong contractions --every minute on the minute! They gave me some pain medication through my IV (I'm thinking demerol and something else) that mainly made me extremely sleepy. I couldn't tell it was doing a thing for pain. Next thing I knew, I had an oxygen mask on a several more nurses. The oxygen mask made it really hard to breathe during the contractions so I kept taking it off. The nurses and Bruce kept yelling at me to keep it on for the baby. I really didn't understand what all was happening. Apparently, each time I contracted, Kaitlyn's heartbeat would become very faint. I couldn't be given an epidural because that lowers your heartrate anyway, which we couldn't do since Kaitlyn was having problems. They thought the umblical cord was wrapped around something or was being affected during the contractions. The nurses had called in Dr. Gardner. She arrived about 3:30. She told me that we needed to do a c-section, which by this time, I was only aware that I wanted this over asap and I wanted the nurses to quit jacking with my bed everytime I was contracting. They didn't wast anytime getting me prepped and into the OR. Once I got in the OR they gave me a spinal block which was FANTASTIC! I finally didn't feel any pain and the other meds they had me on made me sleep through everything for the most part. I woke up to the sound of some healthy lungs and a beautiful, perfect little tiny angel weighing in at 6.1lbs and 18.5 inches long. A head full of thick black hair, long eyelashes and a beautiful complexion as everyone has seen now either in person or all of the pictures taken by her very proud daddy and other family and friends. I did hear them say at one point that she wasn't breathing on her own very well, but that was only for a moment due to the medicine I was on that had passed to her.
The original plan for getting me induced slowly and breaking my water Wednesday morning didn't really work out as planned. Kaitlyn couldn't wait any longer to get here! Recovery in the hospital was very easy and every nurse was super nice and most helpful. The first night I kept Kaitlyn in the room until 4am and she only fussed a few times. The 2nd night she was in the nursery between 2am and 5am. We had a lot of visitors. Everyone is excited about our little blessing. Taylor is the best big sister ever! She stayed with us 2 of the 3 nights (even though she missed staying one night --she got back early the next morning) and she stayed busy changing diapers, making sure everyone signed in and had their picture taken. Taylor has a special way of getting Kaitlyn to open her eyes and stop crying as soon as Taylor gets Kaitlyn in her arms. For being confined to a room for a few days, we all did really well I think.
We got to come home Friday afternoon around 3:00. Kaitlyn's first night at home went really smooth. She slept most of the time, even some in her crib. Feeding is a little challenging but she and I are both learning and doing better.
We recieved alot of nice flowers, messages given to the hospital for us and one of our cousins, Amanda, had taken the pictures already posted online and created a wonderful photo album that she brought up on Thursday!!
We did get out of the house today for about an hour to take Kaitlyn to meet one of her Great-Grandmothers. She'll be 81 this year and Kaitlyn makes her 28th grand/great-grandchild. We didn't tell her we were coming and she was very excited to see us!
Saturday, July 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment