Far different from maternity leave with Kaitlyn in the summer where I just had to set and look at her. I have said that I feel like I really got to enjoy Kailtyn being little -- since she's still little. But Macy is growing growing growing and I'm not sure when it's happening! Thank God this c-section was easier than the first. Not that the 1st one wasn't easy. This one was hardly anything though. I was so worried that this time would be harder or feared getting an infection or any type of complication. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to pick up Kaitlyn, but I have been holding Kailtyn and Macy both --at the same time - since the day I came home. I think (so far) having them this close isn't all bad. Taylor said, while holding Macy setting on the couch one day, "Meg, Thank you for this. She's precious!" Such a loving big sister. She's a fantastic role model.I love this comparison picture below. Macy is on the left at 7 days old and Kaitlyn on the right at 7 days old too.
The Monday before Christmas I had a dentist appointment in Mineral Wells. I baked a strawberry cake and some chocolate no bake oatmeal cookies for Faye Lynn that I wanted to deliver like a Secret Santa. I had planned on leaving them on the front porch by the door, then texting her to have her husband go get them. He busted me at the door though. I asked him if she could even eat. He said she hadn't been eating but he'd see. I explained to him that I had a dentist appointment in MW I had to hurry to and the kids were in the car so I couldn't come in. Actually - I did have a dentist appointment to be at in 30 min but I was scared to go in. I had heard that she had lost so much weight that she just didn't look the same anymore. I cried all the way to Mineral Wells. Sad that I didn't go in to see her, and even more sad that I was afraid to. Sad she has this disease and sad it's taken her over like this. She did text me though to tell me her husband guards the door so I couldn't be sneaky and she told me to bring the girls in next time.
Tuesday I also mailed her a card and a note telling her how grateful I am to have had the chance to learn from her and how fun she made work. I enjoyed work more in the one year I worked with her than in any of the years I've been at GPISD. I included a picture of Macy too.
By Thursday, they had called Hospice to come in and given her 36 hours to live. Christmas Eve was Friday and I just prayed she didn't suffer much and she made it through Christmas for her family's sake. Which she did. She died the next week though. She had a nice memorial service New Year's eve.
I came home New Year's even from her service to learn that some friends' of mine I have had since Kindergarten were experiencing the exact same situation with their Dad. I have known these girls for so long. Their mother was my 4th grade teacher and I worked with their dad for several years. What an evil cancer!
I have known my share of people with cancer. I think that most of them just have surgery to remove the cancer and it's gone. Some have had to go through chemo and they still go on living. Never have I known such a fierce and brutal cancer. I guess I'm fortunate to have gone this long without knowing someone to have suffered from Lung Cancer. I realize I have always thought people outlive any time frame a dr give too. Faye Lynn was told she'd have 6 months to a year with treatment - which she had 15 radiation treatments - and 4 - 6 months without any treatment. So three months was never in my line of thinking anyway! It's been a shock to me. Especially to come home from her service to hear another family I know suffering too. I know there are pre-screenings for Breast Cancer and Prostate cancer that people should start at certain ages. You'd think there would be that for lung cancer too. More so if you were a smoker or around one.
If anyone would have told me in January that I would have another baby and Faye Lynn would never meet her after listening to me worry for nine months, I would have said they're crazy.
Jesus is the reason for the season though. Thankful for Him that these cancer victims and their families don't have to suffer anymore than they already have. Thankful for Him for many other reasons this year too. For the blessing of this beautiful baby girl who took me by surprise, I'm reminded how special Macy is when Kaitlyn leans down to give her a kiss. Such a sweet site. So very thankful for such a great husband who I ask so much of and he never complains and for such a great step-daughter who is more helpful than I can tell you with these babies!
So the presents were wrapped and stockings were hung. Children nestled in the recliner with care!
We had a really great Christmas this year. I've never not had a great Christmas - but they seem to just keep getting better.
I think each year I have a better relationship with the Lord and a better understanding of His plan for me.
Merry Christmas!
I think I've been forgetting to mention that Kaitlyn loves Catfood -- she thinks it's a buffet. As quick as I swoop out a piece of food, she has two handfuls waiting to replace what I take out! And one more thing to add as we close out this year! Kaitlyn has started potty training! Something I was sure I would not have time to start with two little ones - but its all working out!
The week after Christmas we had to take Macy to a cardiologist. When I was pregnant they kept looking at her heart valves in the sonograms. When I took Macy for her one month check up the pediatrician thought she heard a murmur. The cardiologist did a EKG and an EchoCardiogram. He said her heart has all come together with the exception on one tiny pin hole. He said one in ten people have this, may never know and live full healthy lives. He did not see any need for concern or for any follow up visits.
Every year end, people begin to reflect and think of resolutions. This year end, I am truly blessed to have a great family both immediate and extended. We're all blessed with good health and much more than what's needed to get by in this world. I have had the fortune to also be blessed with many close friends that I consider family. I was watching the Barbara Walters interview with Oprah one evening and Barbara asked Oprah about her friendship with Gale, her best friend. Barbara said - A lot of women have close friends; few have friends as close as you and Gale. Oprah responded by saying, "Gale is a mother I never had; a sister everyone would want and a friend everybody deserves." What a nice thing for someone to say about you. I have a fantastic mother and I have an older sister who I am close with. However, I know the girls I grew up with and are still close with will be the mother I one day won't have with me here anymore. And they've all been like sisters my own age already since early grade school and some even before that. I just want you all to know no matter what riches Oprah has - I'm certain her friendship with Gale is above all and I felt lucky to know exactly what she meant when she spoke about her friendship because of friends like you.












No comments:
Post a Comment